Monday, July 11, 2011

I've Always Loved Vampires!

Everyone gets their panties in a bunch about vampires. A lot of people my age (35 and up) think it's so weird that teens and some crazy moms are so into vampires.

Why is that weird? Vamps aren't new. Right? They're so old. Bram Stoker's novel Dracula was published in 1897. Not exactly recent.

So I don't get all the recent hype. I read the Twilight novels, but didn't people dig vamps back in the 80s and 90s too? Who didn't read Anne Rice's novels (okay, me, but I'm a weenie when it comes to scary books)? I wore out a VHS tape of The Lost Boys. In fact, I remember having friends for sleepovers, convincing them to watch The Lost Boys with me, and then they inevitably got mad at me for handing them a bowl of popcorn during the scene where Michael eats the maggots/rice. Heehee. Yeah, I was mean.

I totally think anyone my age should keep their traps shut about all the vampy-paranormal lit circulating these days. It's not new. It's not damaging. It's just fun.

I seriously hope I never turn into one of those stodgy, old adults who whine about the younger generation. Do these people forget what it was like to be a kid? I don't, which is probably why people are always telling me to grow up. Lame. My oldest niece is a teen now and I'm thrilled. Finally someone in my family is my mental age.

(Oh, and for full disclosure, I am a zombie girl more than a vampire girl.)

5 comments:

  1. I'm a vampire novel lover forever. I've always been. Can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved vampires forever too. My husband says that my obsession started with Forever Knight. Could be, but it was probably earlier than that. I hope I never forget what it was like to be a teen either and so far, my kids don't think that I'm "that" mom. Since I'm closer to 50 than 35, I think it's safe to say that if I was going to be that way it would have surfaced by now :) Maybe that's why when I write it is YA material. Guess that's what's keeping me young ~ or at least young at heart. Vampires, werewolves, shape shifters, witches and wizards, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vampires AND zombies. So I'm totally digging the trends right now. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Megg.

    Vampires are cool. Even Twilight ones.

    Of course, I would say that. We have a dark fantasy novel on the boil right now with some great twists on the vampire theme. Definitely not YA though!

    Can we expect a vampiric tale from the warped mind of Megg Jensen one day?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miranda - Have you read My Soul to Keep by Due? It's amazing - my fav vamp novel!!!

    Shirley - You are so awesome!!!

    Katie - Haha, isn't it great?! Please tell me you've read The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It's my fav zombie novel. :)

    Mark - Ooooh, I can't wait to read that one. I don't know if I'll ever write a vamp novel. There's a possibility for that in an upcoming novel...but that's at least four or five books away. ;)

    ReplyDelete