Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Price Change

I don't know if you saw, but I reduced the price of Anathema to 99 cents yesterday. I've been considering this change for a few weeks now. There is so much debate in the indie world about pricing - particularly the 99 cent price point.

Some think 99 cents equals crap. Some think 99 cents equals genius marketing.

In my case, 99 cents doesn't equal crap. Here's a breakdown of my ratings:

Amazon - 5 5-star ratings
Barnes&Noble - 5 5-star ratings; 2 1-star ratings (one valid, one just plain weird)
Goodreads - 13 5-star ratings; 4 4-star ratings; 3 3-star ratings

I don't know if 99 cents is marketing genius. It works for some, not for others. No one really knows what turns a book into a bestseller. If I find out, I'll be happy to share. ;)

I think 99 cents will open me up to new readers, which really is all I want. If my writing career was solely about money I'd be a ghost writer or technical writer.

Happy Reading!!!

Megg

4 comments:

  1. Megg, definitely let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend hates when I buy books. But he can't say no to $.99 right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather, I will! :D

    Well Bekka, he could still say no. LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would suspect you will see more 5-star ratings as a result of the price drop. Some people go into this thinking, "it's only a 99 cent book," but when they realize it's worth more than that, they tend to post positive reviews.

    ReplyDelete