Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oh, Shut Up!: Indie vs. Traditional

Anyone else getting tired of all the arguing? Am I the only one watching this and rolling my eyes?

Yes, I am indie, self-published, whatever you want to call it. (Big debate on Nathan Bransford's blog about this yesterday.)

No, I don't hate New York, agents, or traditional publishing.


Barry Eisler turned down traditional publishers to go indie! *gasp*

Amanda Hocking signed a contract with traditional publishers! *gasp*

It amazes me how much press has centered around how they are both traitors to their roots, not on the achievements and contributions both have made to the greater publishing world. Both have been asked to justify their positions. Really? Why? Let them make their business decisions without facing persecution. It isn't a big deal if they want to discuss their decisions, but they shouldn't have to defend themselves.

The readers aren't complaining and I'd say 95% of this anger stems from in-fighting.

Why can't everyone get along? Why does it have to be one or the other? Plenty of self-pubbed authors have gone on to great success in the traditional world. Others have left traditional publishing for the indie world. I want to know why writers/editors/agents/publishers can't be happy for each other.

Why? Can anyone answer me that?

8 comments:

  1. Oh Man, I am sick of this versus crap too! Why does it even matter. Yes, the information about how each of them works is valuable, but why do you have to hate on the one you decided not to go with? Both of them have their upsides and their downsides.

    And I really don't think that Amanda has to answer to anybody about why she decides what she decides for HER writing career.

    Good Post Megg! ;)

    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your guess is as good as mine. I just go with the flow and do my own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with JL I really don't get why people are making a fuss. Both are doing what they want obviously, give them a congrats at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with JL too. I do what works for me, and I really don't care what anyone else says! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see we all agree, ladies!!!! :D

    I'd rather write than fight! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so good to hear you say that. Why does it always seem like an "us vs. them" argument. Writers are generally an extremely supportive community. Why can't we all be happy for whatever publishing decision is right for each individual? It boggles me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother is traditionally published, and I absolutely see no upside to it. Be thankful you have the opportunity to call the shots yourself as an indie writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The notion of betraying anything within the realms of self-publishing, e-publishing or major house publishing is ridiculous. It's no more valid and every bit as depressing as when fans of an author decry him trying new genres. It's a little sadder coming from writers themselves, irrationally applying nationalist-like status onto whatever means they were publishing on today.

    ReplyDelete